Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 1: Drive to Nashville

I have just now been reminded that the life I now live is not my own.  When I'm at home, or just living my regular comfortable life, I can get away with living pretty much for myself, sad to say.  I mean, there's give and take, and I get to navigate relationships, but for the most part, no one's depending on me to be spiritually overflowing.  I can live life and get by with the little revelation that I glean from day to day as I'm going my way.  

But on the road, as things begin to get uncomfortable, I realize why I'm here.  Why I'm spending 12 hours days in a 15 passenger van, and then being thrown into social situations that are out of my comfort zone.  Why I'm eating fast food and gas station food and no food at all.  Why I'm living for weeks at a time out of a suitcase.  It's for the people God loves.

And all the sudden everything comes into perspective.  And now my time in the van becomes a time of preparation, where I am clearing my spirit and moving in closer to the Lord, rather than a time where I'm just looking for something to keep me busy so the hours pass more quickly.

My time is not my own.  God, teach me this lesson of love.  How to lovingly use the precious resource of time, and not squander it.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Pray that for me too when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete